Chocolate Chip Cookies

May 31, 2011


Okay. So let's avoid all the flowery ho-hum and get right down to business, people. These cookies are A-MAZ-ING. They are so good, in fact, that I just might call them The Greatest Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever to be Invented by Man. Actually, I just decided - I will call them that. Here, before your lucky little eyes, you see The Greatest Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever to be Invented by Man. I know that's saying a lot. But seriously, you have to try these.


Everyone's got their favorite. These are mine.

By far.


Here is why:

1. They're BIG.
2. They're crispy and a little crunchy on the edges.
3. They're gooey and chewy in the middle.
4. They're mostly about cookie goodness - not so much about tooth-aching sweet.
5. You put salt on top, which sounds weird, but is so wonderful.
6. They have an amazing complex, caramelized, sophisticated flavor. Really.
7. They have lots and lots of delicious chocolate pieces inside them. Each bite is like a fantastic chocolate circus in your mouth. Amazing, right? I know, tell me about it.
8. And... Okay, I just love them. I could eat them all day long. And all night long, too. (If I could eat while sleeping, that is.)


So make them. (And please read the notes below. They are very important.)

Happy cookie making, cookie dough sneaking, and cookie nirvana eating.

Notes: I think there are three things that this recipe really has going for it: 1) The combination of bread and cake flours. The texture of these cookies is awesome. Most cake flours are bleached, which means lots of processing and chemicals. I use King Arthur's brand of cake flour, which is unbleached. 2) Let the dough rest for at least 24 hours, as the recipe states. It's amazing the transformation the flavors take on. So worth it. The resting allows the liquids in the dough to be absorbed, giving you a firmer dough that bakes up into thick, chewy, caramel-y, sophisticated cookies. And, 3) Please use some really good-quality chocolate here. I love Ghiradelli's 60% cacao bittersweet baking chips. They're find-able, affordable, and de-lish. I use about two cups of the chips as they are, and then I roughly chop the remaining 1/2 cup to distribute even more chocolate in each cookie. If you want to splurge, (oh man!) go for these. Or these. Oh, annnd also, sometimes I like to add about 2 cups of chopped, toasted walnuts or pecans. Your choice.

Adapted from The New York Times, courtesy of this gentleman. Let's just call him the Chocolate Genius, shall we?


This post linked to Real Food Wednesdays and Sweet as Sugar

9 friendly note(s):

  1. Oh great... Now I'm craving cookies :) Thanks for the recipes and tips. I'm going to have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 01, 2011

    unbelievable. these look too delicious. just found your site - how beautiful and minimalist! you're going to become a regular on my blogroll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Improbable Farmer - I was craving cookies, too, so I just baked a few more from the fridge :) Give 'em a try soon!

    Foodgasmtv - They are ALMOST too delicious! Thank you so much. I'm glad you found my site :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those crystals of salt do look amazing. I am in the market for a new CCC recipe. I will try this soon. Very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard a lot about these cookies and tried them myself. In fact, I've been trying 12 different recipes trying to find the best. Yours came out so much better looking than mine. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brooke, I love love love the look of these cookies and can't wait to make them... Thanks so much for sharing. You have such a beautiful blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rivki - Have you tried the cookies? Let me know how you like them if you do!

    Lisa - I think the quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie is based so much on a person's individual preferences... And these are MY perfect chocolate chip cookies :) Best wishes trying to find yours!

    Kate - Thank you so much for the kind words. I hope you make the cookies and enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these cookies the other day and OH MY OH MY THEY ARE SOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!! Definitely my new favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. I didn't put salt on the top, but I did everything else-- totally worth it! LOVE LOVE LOVEEEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad that you love these cookies. They're certainly not hard to love, though, are they? ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Flour Sack All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger