Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake

Sep 15, 2012



"This should be illegal. I mean, I should be arrested for eating this."

That's a direct quote from my mother, spoken yesterday at 8:42 a.m.

We consider this our new favorite dessert. 

Or breakfast, cause that's the way we roll sometimes. 

We haven't been arrested by the Incredibly-Dreamy-Cheesecake Police yet. And by Incredibly-Dreamy-Cheesecake Police I mean that the cheesecake is incredibly dreamy, not the police. I haven't seen them yet to make that judgement. 

The only judgement I have been able to make is that this cheesecake really is dreamy. It is decadent. It is smooth and silky with a slight crunch from the crust. Rich. Every layer compliments each of the others brilliantly. It is simple perfection. 

Yes, there are a lot of steps to making this cheesecake, but I guarantee it will be so worth it

... Even if the cheesecake police that come to arrest you aren't all that dreamy. At least the cheesecake you made was. ;)

Notes: Read through the entire recipe before beginning. I repeat: Read through the entire recipe before beginning! You'll need to plan a few things in advance, such as having softened butter and cream cheese around, time for the cheesecake to completely cool, etc.

Idea adapted from Mangio da Sola
Chocolate Cookie Crust adapted from Alice Medrich
French Mousse adapted from Tyler Florence
Creamy Cheesecake adapted from Dori Greenspan

Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake

bottom layer - chocolate cookie crust
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a piece of parchment on a baking sheet. Set aside. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with a parchment round, then lightly butter the pan and parchment. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, beat the softened butter and sugars until light and creamy. Add the vanilla and milk and mix until well combined. (Mixture may look curdled.) On low speed, add the flour mixture just until incorporated.

Use a small cookie scoop to drop little mounds of dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Using lightly floured hands, press the mounds of dough into 1/4-inch flat disks. (Don’t worry about making these too neat - you’ll be grinding them up shortly.) Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, until the cookies puff and then settle slightly when done. Remove cookies from the baking sheet and let cool to room temperature.

Place cooled cookies in a food processor. Process until cookies are evenly and finely crushed. Pour the melted butter on top of the crushed cookies and pulse until well mixed. Dump the cookie mixture into the parchment-lined springform pan. Press the mixture evenly up the sides of the pan, then evenly over the bottom.

Wrap the bottom of the springform pan in a double layer of aluminum foil. Place the crust in the freezer for 10 minutes. Remove the crust from the freezer and bake for 10 minutes, until set and dry to the touch. Let the crust cool on a wire rack while you make the cheesecake.

layer 2 - creamy cheesecake
1 pound (2 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup heavy cream

Decrease oven temperature to 325°F. Put a pot of water on the stove top boil.

Working in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese at medium speed until it is very soft and smooth, about 4 minutes. Add the sugar and salt, and continue to beat at medium speed for another 4 minutes or so, until the cream cheese is light. Beat in the vanilla. Add the eggs one by one, beating for a full minute after each addition to yield a well-aerated batter. Reduce the mixer to low speed and mix in the heavy cream.

Give the batter a few stirs with a rubber spatula to make sure that nothing has been left
unmixed at the bottom of the bowl. Scrape the batter into the cooled cookie crust. The batter should fill about half way up the pan. Place the springform pan in a roasting pan large enough to give at least a 1-inch space between the cheesecake and the roasting pan. Place in the center of the oven and then carefully pour the boiling water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the springform pan.

Bake the cheesecake for about 45 minutes, at which point the top will be ever so slightly browned and the cheesecake will have puffed a little. The best way to tell if your cheesecake is done is to insert a thermometer into the center; it should read 150°F.  Remove cheesecake from from the roaster pan - be careful of the hot water - and remove the foil. Place cheesecake on a wire rack. Prop a large bowl over the cheesecake, leaving a 1-inch crack to let the cheesecake cool slowly.

When the cake is cool, cove with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.

*** Make the mousse once the cheesecake has cooled.***

layer 3 - french chocolate mousse
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream, cold
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Set a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Put the chocolate and butter into the bowl. Melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring with a whisk, until smooth. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add the egg yolks to the chocolate one by one, beating with a whisk until incorporated. Set aside.

In another bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat. Gradually add in 1/4 cup granulated sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside.

In another bowl, beat the heavy cream until it begins to foam. Add the vanilla and remaining
2 tablespoons  sugar. Continue to whip the cream until it holds soft peaks. Set aside.

Gently fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold in the remaining egg whites. Then, delicately fold in the whipped cream. Take care to not over work the mousse, but make sure the cream is blended in well.

Using a rubber spatula, spread the mousse on top of the cooled cheesecake while still in the springform pan. Cover with plastic wrap.

*** If making the ganache immediately, place the mousse-covered cheesecake in the freezer as you make the ganache. (The cheesecake should NOT be in the freezer for more than 30 minutes.) If making the ganache later, place the cheesecake in the refrigerator for a few hours. ***

top layer - ganache
1/2 cup heavy cream
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla

Place the chopped chocolate and vanilla in a small bowl. Set aside.

Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat until the point just before it boils. Pour hot cream over chocolate and vanilla. Whisk the mixture until smooth. Allow ganache to cool for about 15 minutes.

Remove mousse cheesecake from the freezer or refrigerator. With an offset spatula, smooth the ganache while starting at the center of the cake and working outward. Be aware that the cold temperature of the cake will cause the ganache to firm up, so work fairly quickly.

Release the springform pan and cut cheesecake with a sharp knife to serve. Store cheesecake in the refrigerator, covered tightly with plastic wrap.

Yield: 1 9-inch cheesecake, serving 10-12

63 friendly note(s):

  1. This looks absolutely-amazing. I am drooling as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It definitely is drool-worthy cheesecake! :)

      Delete
  2. This looks fantastic. I love the sounds your cookie crust at the bottom. I use whole wheat flour a lot in my baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I also prefer to use whole grains wherever I can. There's hardly ever a reason not to... I prefer them so much more anyway!

      Delete
  3. is it safe to consume uncooked eggs that being added to chocolate mousse? it does not say anything about cooking them....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good question. Because this is a traditional French mousse, it uses raw eggs. I honestly don't worry about raw eggs much. We have four of our own chickens which produce fresh eggs daily. So I know exactly where my eggs are from, how fresh they are, and what conditions they've been kept in.

      In this mousse recipe, the egg yolks are added to a warm chocolate/butter mixture. Then the whites are folded into that mixture. I doubt that the residual warmth from the chocolate/butter mixture does much to "cook" the eggs, but I suppose it's better than nothing. If you're skeptical but would like to still try the recipe, I might suggest finding a recipe for mousse that cooks the eggs more definitely or simply use pasteurized eggs, which should work fine.

      Delete
    2. thank you for the clarification :) i personally have no problem using fresh eggs in making mousse or in making all known mayonnaise. as long as we know how fresh the eggs are.
      thank you for amazing recipe and for knowledgeable answers!
      hope to get cooking by your recipes

      Delete
  4. I just ate this cake ... and your mother is right!: I should be arrested also for eating this. Thank you so much for the recipe!! is absolutely perfect: crispy base, cheesecake, mousse, ganache. And it is very easy to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback! I'm so glad you made it and that you enjoyed it so much! :)

      Delete
  5. I bet this one is so soft and smoothy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this cheesecake is definitely smooth and creamy! :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, yum! This looks super decadent. I almost never make desserts like this because I'm worried I'll eat them all myself... but maybe it's worth throwing a party just to have a slice of this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is a decadent treat. I am envious of your ability to refrain from making decadent desserts. :) Before one treat's even gone around here, I've planned the next to make. This would definitely be a problem if I lived alone or with a roommate, but luckily I've got a whole family to share these treats with! I hope you'll have a party so you can try this, too! :)

      Delete
  7. I'm making this cake for a birthday this weekend. Do you think that it would be possible to make the cheesecake and crust portion a few days in advance? If so, should I pop it in the freezer, or the fridge? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crust should be just fine in the freezer for a few days. Though, I definitely wouldn't recommend freezing the cheesecake portion. The cheesecake portion will hold up great in the fridge for a couple of days in advance. When I make this, I will often make the crust and cheesecake parts on day one, refrigerate it overnight (or for a day or two, even), and then on the day I plan on serving the cake, finish the mousse and ganache a few hours before I serve it. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. I think you'll really enjoy this cake :)

      Delete
    2. Cheesecake actually freezes really well. Most restaurant cheesecakes are frozen prior to being served, including the one you can get at Olive Garden that is similar to this one. I would make the cheesecake in it's entirety, wrap it well and freeze the whole thing, then just set it on the counter for a few hours before serving.

      Delete
    3. Kelli, Thank you for the information on freezing cheesecake. I would be a little hesitant of freezing this one, though, if it isn't necessary, just to avoid any differences in texture once it had thawed - especially since it is topped with a delicate mousse and ganache. I've read that cheesecakes made with entirely with cream cheese as the dairy product freeze very well, but those with sour cream/cream/ricotta in addition to the cream cheese can be less stable and more subject to a change in texture once thawed. I would imagine that restaurant cheesecakes (even those similar to this one) are developed specifically to be more stable for transportation/preservation/etc. I just wouldn't want someone to put in the time making this more delicate cheesecake and have something not turn out right if they used the freezer, so I'd suggest playing it safe by using the refrigerator. :)

      Delete
  8. Can you substitute cookies for the crust instead of making them? If so, how much would you need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can definitely use cookies for the crust. Use about 16 ounces, grind them up well, and mix with 3-4 tablespoons melted butter. Enjoy! :)

      Delete
  9. I just made this for our holiday party. It came out wonderful and it was my first time ever making a cheesecake! Thank you for such excellent and detailed directions. I received a ton of compliments on it. My only mistake was leaving the cheesecake on the counter for several hours at the party before serving it. It was a tad on the soft side, but still very delicious. Next time (and yes there will be a next time) I will keep it refrigerated until the moment I serve it.

    In reference to the previous post, I will say that I got lots of compliments on the crust, so while it may be a tad more work to make the cookies, it is totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raquel - Thank you so much for the very nice comment! I am so happy that the cheesecake turned out well and that it was enjoyed by many :) Thanks again for the feedback!

      Delete
  10. The best cheesecake EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We made this cheesecake, and it was absolutely delicious! Please feel free to check it out on our blog, Pass the Cocoa: http://passthecocoa.blogspot.com/2013/01/chocolate-mousse-cheesecake.html

    A big thank you for the wonderful recipe! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the cheesecake! Though, it really isn't a surprise to me... It's not a hard one to enjoy, is it!? ;) Thank you for the feedback. Your site looks great, by the way!

      Delete
  12. AnonymousMay 05, 2013

    I came across this recipe on foodgawker and made it last week to take to a party. I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out phenomenal!!! Seriously so good, everyone loved it. Definitely will be making this again and again. Thanks for a great recipe!

    -Bethany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wonderful! Thank you for the feedback! I'm so happy that everyone enjoyed it. It's definitely a keeper, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  13. Is semi sweet bakers chocolate ok for the mousse? And when using cookies for the crust.. How long do I bake the crust for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think semi-sweet baker's chocolate would work just fine for the mousse! And if you are wanting to use pre-made cookies for the crust, simply grind the cookies into crumbs, add the melted butter, press the mixture into your prepared pan, freeze for 10 minutes, and then bake for the same amount of time specified in the original recipe - 10 minutes at 350°. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions! And enjoy!!!

      Delete
  14. Thank you for the recipe - however, I made it during crunch time and unfortunately, it wasn't ready for my guests in time. :-( It said we could freeze it for no more than 30 minutes after the mousse is laid on top of it, but even in 30 minutes - the mousse was not set. Is there a faster way to set it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that your cheesecake wasn't ready in time for your guests. This cheesecake really just takes a bit of time, each step requiring a bit of planning, so the risk with making it during a crunch time is that things might not quite be as perfect as they could. Although, I do find it kind of odd that the mousse still hadn't set after 30 minutes in the freezer. I have had success doing it this way before, so I'm not quite sure why it didn't work for you. Did it set up later in the fridge? If not, then there could have been a problem with the mousse itself. Even though it wasn't ready quite in time, I do hope that you were able to enjoy it! Thank you for the feedback and best wishes! :)

      Delete
  15. I made this for my bf's bday. It was absolutely delicious! Although I think I ended up eating more of it than he did. However, we both felt like the ganache layer was a bit too much and ended up taking it off (which made our cheesecake very ugly, but sitll tasty).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the whole eating-more-than-anyone-else part. It's hard to resist this one, huh!? ;) The ganache IS a bit rich, and maybe isn't for everyone. As a die-hard chocolate fan, I personally think it's a necessity, but I'm glad you enjoyed the cheesecake without it! :)

      Delete
  16. I am very new to baking - quick question - I read the part about removing foil, do I put it over the cheeescake while it is baking??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! The foil actually doesn't go over the top of the cheesecake at any point. The foil gets wrapped all around the outside of the springform pan that you bake the cheesecake in. The reason for wrapping the pan with foil is to prevent water from leaking into the pan and getting the crust soggy. So -- get out your springform pan, get two big sheets of foil, wrap the outside bottom and sides of the springform pan so that it is incased in two layers of foil, then bake the crust, then add the cheesecake batter, bake it, then carefully remove the foil and proceed with the rest of the recipe. Hopefully I've helped clarify! If you have any more questions - ask! I hope you enjoy! :)

      Delete
  17. Hey, this look wonderful and I can't wait to try it! I do have one question - is it necessary to cut the cake before serving and putting in the fridge or can I serve it as a whole?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry for the delayed response! Hopefully if you have made the cheesecake, all went well. If you still need some tips, I'll try to answer your question. I think you are asking if you should cut the cake before putting it in the fridge or if you should wait to cut it after it has been refrigerated. If so, it is absolutely necessary to refrigerate the cheesecake BEFORE cutting! If it is cut before being refrigerated, it will not be fully set up and will be way too soft. Be sure to let the cheesecake cool on the counter after cooking until it is barely warm, and then put it in the fridge for at least 4 hours (preferable more like 8) to let it cool completely and set up. Then cut it. Hopefully this helps. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  18. do you think it would be possible to adapt the creamy cheesecake layer to become coconut flavoured ? ie. addition of coconut essence and or desiccated coconut ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that could work well! I would probably decrease the 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract called for in the cheesecake layer to 1/2 teaspoon and then add 1 teaspoon coconut extract. As for adding shredded coconut, you could try folding 1/2 cup into the cheesecake batter. I might also try using full-fat coconut cream in place of the heavy cream. I can't guarantee that these substitutions will work since I haven't tried them, but I think there's a good chance they would be successful in creating a coconut cheesecake layer! Please share your experience if you do try it out. I would love to know how it goes! Best wishes! :)

      Delete
  19. I've been looking for a good chocolate mousse recipe. It looks so airy and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a wonderful mousse! I hope you give it a try. :)

      Delete
  20. This cheesecake looks sooooo delicious. I'm definitely goong to make this one for the weekend, but I would like to know what the cupsize is you are using for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I'm not sure what you mean by cup size, though. Can you clarify?

      Delete
    2. How much e.g. 1 cup of whole wheat flour? What will be the amount in ounces?

      Delete
    3. One cup of whole-wheat pastry flour should be 4 ounces. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if you have any more!

      Delete
    4. Thanks again for your reply.

      Delete
  21. I also have a question regarding the cream of tartar. Is there something else I could use in stead of the cream of tartar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a quick google search, and it seems that you can substitute an equal amount of white vinegar or lemon juice for the cream of tartar. I would probably try the white vinegar, as it has a more neutral flavor. Hopefully that will work for you! :)

      Delete
    2. Ok, thank you very much for your quick reply!

      Delete
  22. AnonymousMay 22, 2015

    Can I make whole cake one day in advance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousMay 22, 2015

      I planned to make bottom and cheesecake layers today and add mousse and ganache tomorrow but I think I might be short on time tomorrow so I am wondering if I can make the whole cake one day in advance or will mousse "liquify"? Thank you so much for your answer! Recipe looks delicious, by the way :))

      Delete
    2. You can absolutely make the cake a day in advance! In fact, that is preferable so that all the layers have enough time to fully set. The mousse will not liquify at all. It will improve in texture as it is in the fridge over night. Have fun making it! Let me know if you have any more questions! :)

      Delete
  23. omg, that cheesecake is a boss lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. like i said, it really looks amazing, I'd like to try this recipe for my 10years old daughter, work on recipe together with my daughter, she into cooking and baking even the games she plays is all about cooking and baking like the cooking papas games but i'm not sure if my skills are good enough for this recipe hehe. I'll let you know the results later. Thanks for the amazing recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The original recipe from Mangio is gone. I like your adaptation but want yo try that one as well. Do you have it saved some where because the original link is gone. Thanks for that fantastic recipe; it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't have the original saved anywhere. I'm sorry! I'm glad you liked the recipe though. Best wishes!

      Delete
  26. Can I replace the whole wheat pastry flour for a different kind of flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Yes, you can definitely replace the whole-wheat pastry flour with all-purpose flour. Spelt flour would also make a good substitution. The replacement measurement will be the same as written in the recipe, so you can substitute with 1 cup all-purpose or spelt flour. Enjoy the cheesecake!

      Delete
  27. Do you use light or dark brown sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either will work just fine. Since the brown sugar isn't a main ingredient in the recipe, the type of brown sugar you use won't be noticeable. Enjoy!

      Delete
  28. Made this cake over the weekend for my husband's birthday, I only replaced the cookie crust with a layer of chocolate cake. WOW! This is my new favorite dessert, so easy to make, a very light treat, looks beautiful on the plate. Can't get enough of this cake! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved the recipe! And I love that you tried it with a layer of chocolate cake for the base - sounds awesome! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Flour Sack All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger